Tuesday, July 01, 2008

It's "You're welcome.", not "Your welcome."!

Your [pronounced - Yohr, Yor]–pronoun
1. (a form of the possessive case of you used as an attributive adjective): Your jacket is in that closet. or I like your idea.

2. one's (used to indicate that one belonging to oneself or to any person): The consulate is your best source of information. or As you go down the hill, the library is on your left.

3. (used informally to indicate all members of a group, occupation, etc., or things of a particular type): Take your factory worker, for instance. or Your power brakes don't need that much servicing....but your mother does.

Your [pronounced - Yoor, Yu-er] Contraction of the words You and Are as in You're certain that's right? or You're using YOUR, when you should be using YOU'RE.

Dear Texters and Emailers,

I don't own a WELCOME! If you do, then I'll mention how nice YOUR Welcome is sometime, and then you'll say "Thank you" and I'll say YOU'RE (You Are) welcome!!

OK?!

GOT IT?!

GOOD!

10 comments:

a girl said...

I feel the same way about the response "ya, no" to a question. So, which is it? ya or no?

Us Americans have done really made the English-talk not so good.

Wendy said...

one of my pet peeves.

Wendy said...

...along with fragmented sentences.

jeopardygirl said...

I've come to the conclusion that people don't use proper pronunciation for one of two (or both) reasons:

a) they are afraid of where the damn thing goes, so, rather than screw up, they just guess.

b) they are lazy.

It drives me crazy, too!

jeopardygirl said...

Sorry, that's PUNCTUATION, not pronunciation, although most people certainly don't use proper pronunciation, either.

~**Dawn**~ said...

This drives me batty. Right along with 'their' and 'there'.

Anonymous said...

Got it and you're welcome...

Unknown said...

the anger, the anger... should I sign you up for my "breathe and be one with self" class?
ha!
I commented on your comment on my comment section of my most commented post....

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Unless I am performing at the Renaissance Festival, in which case I will offer you a Yore Welcome.

Crystal said...

your getting all crazy about you're grammar.

i here you and i hate it two.