Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Ouch?

Sounds like one of the guys in my Dept might Be leaving so the boss has been asking if we know of anyone who might want/need a job. So, me being the swell chap I am, I tell this guy I know who works in the mailroom about it. He's been sick of working where he is for the last year or so and has been trying, unsuccessfully, to score another job and pretty much any job.

So...

I tell him, and he commences to pretty much tell me that my job is below him. That he'd rather keep doing what he's doing than work in my office.

So....

Me being me (the current me, not the old me), I start thinking about it...and start getting bummed.

If you knew this guy, and you saw what exactly his duties (heh heh....I said duties) were...

Picture a cross between Booger from the Revenge of The Nerds movies, Chong from the Cheech & Chong movies and Jimmy Fallon.

How much of a loser am I that I'm below him at work?

Geebus.

The mailroom crew consists of 3 normal people, the guy I just told you about who works to support his drug habit (Pot is NOT addictive though. It's not. Just ask anybody who gets high), an alcoholic who almost drank himself to death and just measured a corner of his apartment to see how many cases of beer he could stack there for the winter and then dropped over a grand on said beer structure (Picture a 50yr old Doug Henning), a "lead worker" who does neither of those two things, but loves to boss people around when she isn't napping at her desk and a guy who was an extra in The Outsiders but kept the hairstyle while taking on Oscar the Grouch's outgoing personality (oh man, this guy goes out of his way to have a shitty day. If things are going great, he'll fuck shit up just so he can bitch about it).

It bums me out to no end to think that no matter how bad their day is, they can all sit together during break and say "Yeah, but at least we're not that poor bastard Jerk! What a phuc-n loser that guy is. I'd kill myself if I was THAT guy.".

If the sad, dregs of humanity look down upon thee.....

Christ and his Mass, I'm a loser.

:(

Meh

I'm hungry

7 comments:

Wendy said...

The mail people are below everyone...not that that is degrading, just the facts, they are the bottom. He is full of poo and doesn't want a better job because they might piss test him and he won't be able to fuck off all day.

a girl said...

Okay, let me compose myself a minute. That was friggin' dead on balls accurate with the descriptions. Too funny! Okay, okay...seriously. We all suck because we work where we do. It is where the sucky go to die. But if I was gonna actually go along with what you are saying, hands down, their job sucks more. Everyone knows how to check the mail and open stuff. I think he doesn't want to fail. He couldn't do your job and he knows it. You rock Jerk. If anyone says otherwise, let me at 'em and I'll crack some skulls.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Wendy... sounds to me like he wouldn't actually want anything more challenging than sorting mail, so he says those grapes are sour anyways.

~**Dawn**~ said...

1. Perhaps anything that takes away hos right to complain about how awful his job is *is* "below" him, since clearly his aspirations include slacking off & then whining about it.

2. You're not sad or bummed out. You're happy this cancerous personality isn't coming to infect *your* work space.

3. "If you knew this guy, and you saw what exactly his duties (heh heh....I said duties) were..." OMG, I just had a flashback to Friends, in the episode where Chandler is interviewing for a better job & he can't stop making inappropriate jokes. LOL! (Forgive me if you were one of those people who wasn't as unabashedly entertained by Friends as I was.)

Anonymous said...

Right, um, that guy sounds a lot like the people I've known who'd say a minimum wage job was beneath them.

Yet they'd never held a job.

Ahem, yeah. Beneath him my ass.

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I know I'm a WEEK late-- bonjour, Henrique!-- but I hafta weigh in here. Anyone who acts like someone else's job is beneath them is usually an idiot in denial about what a lousy, useless schlub he'she is. That's been my experience anyways.

Jerrster said...

jerk....my man...you can't say you're a loser and then say you're hungry...now that's an appropriate ending....say you're a loser but at least you don't have a bad "shag" haircut like a Doug Henning look-alike we all seem to know.