Thursday, July 26, 2007

My "If you're gonna remake an old SciFi flick.." list pt.1

In no particular order....

When Worlds Collide

I thought for sure this would get remade when all the "Earth is gonna get smashed by outer space rocks" movies came out. Get the right people involved, make sure Ben Affleck isn't crying like a little bitch in it or better yet, not in it at all and this would be gold.

Forbidden Planet

Normally, I'd say don't mess with perfection (Anne Francis..grrrrrooowl), but I know there are tons of people who will NOT watch an old movie at gun point. Those loser...um..guys, are missing out on this great version of The Tempest (Hey, I aint no heathen, I know some Shake Spears!) With a bigger budget, the right cast i.e. don't put Ben Affleck in it crying like a litte bitch, or better yet, not at all and you've got gold AGAIN! My favo(U)rite quote from this one? "Would 60 gallons be sufficient?".

Mad Max

Another movie I thought might get redone when all of the "Fast & Furious" types came out. This movie, along with Top Gun taught me that you don't want the nickname "Goose".

It Came From Outer Space

Similar to Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but with a happy ending. This one could be good if done right. I mean, it IS good, it could just be better and creepier if done right. They'd have to change the name of course and NOT have it in 3-D. I actually think that M. Night Shyamalan could do a great job with this one. It's kinda up his alley. Speaking of alley.....

Damnation Alley
(The only clip I could find on YouTube)

The Jan-Micheal Vincent Masterpeice (Hey! JMV was the MAN. Shut up!) kinda, sorta based on the book by Roger Zelazny would be another goody if handled WAY better than this. My love for cheesy, low budget, movies forces me to recall this one with fondness.

....and poor grammar.

The Incredible Shrinking Man
(Warning: This is the ending. Dont watch this if you wanna see the movie)

I truly do not think you can do this BETTER, just updated, for dorks who will not watch a B&W movie. This is one of my all time favo(U)rites. The genius what is Richard Matheson wrote it so how bad could it be, right? Sadly, if Hollywood did it now, it would be over the top, non-stop action with NONE of the deeper meaning or emotion. The ending speech is just awesome. "To God, there is no zero. I still exist.".

Thanks for reading.

More to come....

1 comment:

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

The one time Hollywood thought about re-making The Incredible Shrinking Man, they turned it into a Lily Tomlin vehicle. Some things are better left un-fooled-with