Thursday, May 31, 2007

Joel & The Four Letter Word

I have a friend named Joel. Joel is a weirdness magnet. Truly bizarre crap happens to Joel and only Joel. Some of you may recall "Joel & The Magic Carwash" from the old blog. I'll retell it for the newbies soon.

For now, here's a fave Joel Tale of mine that's just funny. To me anyway.

Once upon a time we were bored and were just driving around. Joel is one of those people who likes to drive, so he'll just.....drive. Drive to drive. 'Course this was a looong time ago when gas prices weren't controlled by The Rumpelstiltskin Corp. You could afford to drive around for no reason. I digress..

We're just rolling along and a song comes on the radio. Well, ok, there were ALREADY songs on the radio, that's it's gig, right? I mean a particular song came on and I can hear Joel kinda singing along and I just start laughing. Loud, hysterical "I can't stop! I'm gonna pee!" tears type laughter. Joel starts looking over at me like I'm INSANE. See, Joel was doing that misheard lyrics thing. It strikes me as so funny that I can't even ask him if he's really saying what I think he's saying. "Are you ...Bwah-hahahahahaaaa....are you saying.....GWAH-hahahahahaa..". Much more "Should I pull over and run before Jerk kills me or drop him off at the nutfarm?" looks from Joel. OK, at this point I will ask you to click on the tunage to hear the song.



OK. Got it? Are you familiar with the tune at all? Have any idea what the chorus is? Wanna know what Joel was singing? Those of you that were readers of the old blog might recall because I think this was one of the first Joel Tales I wrote about. Joel was singing...

"Four letter woman.........four letter woman to me-ee-eee....Four letter woman.....wo-oo-oh-oh....four letter woman to meeeeeee..."

"Four letter woman?!? Joel, what the hell?!? How does that EVEN make any sense to you? Four letter......It's MORE THAN a woman. What the PHUC is a four letter woman?"

Aaaaand....WHAT four letter word? I was praying he didn't say the "C" word, we had our windows down, we'd be dead men if any women heard him.

Joel's explanation was....

"He's saying she's a lady. You know....classy 'n stuff. She's a L-A-D-Y....it's four letters."

I lost it again. That was THE most bizarre misheard lyric explanation.....how his mind worked that one out without ever figuring out or seeing the actual NAME of the song, I have NO idea. Somehow, I'm guessing, Tom Jones is involved.

Joel didn't think it was funny of course, since I was laughing.....well...at HIM.
To this day whenever I hear this tune I sing "Four letter woman" to the chorus. I hope you will too and remember our buddy Joel fondly.

Four letter woman......four letter woman to me-ee-eeeee.....

7 comments:

Shadows and Starlight said...

It's Corbin by the way... Damn, that's a good one! Too Freakin Funny man. Four Letter Woman. I doubt I'll ever be able to forget that now.

jeopardygirl said...

Classic! Right up there with that website: http://www.kissthisguy.com

Wendy said...

That just happens to my second favorite song in that film, the first being another Bee Gee tune "How Deep Is Your Tongue"...

I LOVE this story and Joel, and yes now I will sing Four letter woman.

Anonymous said...

I had a friend that used to sing "bald-headed woman" about herself...she knew she was singing it wrong tho' Crazy Sinead wannabe.

Me Myself and I said...

haha. good one.

Crystal said...

holy crap. it DOES sound like he is saying 4 letter woman.

Moxie Cotton said...

I knew a girl who thought they were singing "Mo' Betta Woman"...she was ridiculous, of course, but she honestly believed that.