Monday, August 06, 2007

Smoke and Mirrors

I awoke this morning, knowing full well what this date is "famous" for. Every year it rolls around and every year the mornings news gives me a little world news, some U.S. stuff, the weather around the country along with possible flight delays and a little sports update (mostly baseball) and then....if at all...there's a little "Oh, and by the way, we bombed somebody once. Piece that last about 30 seconds.

Isn't it odd, that Japan never mentions Pearl Harbor, tons of old Germans (and others around the world) don't believe the Holocaust occurred and we squirm and do a "Hey, look over there! How 'BOUT that Barry Bonds hitting those home runs!". It's as if we all convinced ourselves that Hollywood made WWII up.

Yes, I know it's horrible what we do to each other as a race on this rock, but ignoring it means we might forget, and if we forget, we're likely to do it again.

2 comments:

Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

I have spent about half of my day reading up on the subject, thanks to you. That doesn't make it an unusual day for me, by any stretch of the imagination, but if you prompted anyone else to do the same, you've provided a great service.

Wendy said...

my niece, hubby's niece dated a foreign exchange student from Germany. He was close to everyone in the family as he was around a lot. One night we were talking about Germany and the war and I had the balls to ask if his Grandfather was a Nazi. Now many men were in the army in Germany believing in a cause that wasn't true, they were lied to and only later found out the true motives behinf Hitler's regime. So, I asked innocently with no ofense as a preface if his Grandfather was in the Nazi army.

He became very defensive and asked if any of my relatives killed Indians or owned slaves. I laughed at that one since Iam 1/4 Apache Indian and my husband's relatives way back when, did own slaves...

So, having confessed to him, he still refused to answer the question. I take that as a yes. But, it shows the shame families carry and generations try to forget the shame. This is why history disapears.