Friday, March 09, 2007

300

It's better than I thought it would be, but then again, I'm kind of a history geek. You might not like it as much as I did. I think I might go see it again tomorrow.

It IS better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Find your inner Spartan. :)

I wanted to come back and elaborate a bit since I liked this movie so much.

300 is NOT a documentary. It is not a step-by-step retelling of the facts. It IS a very important part of military/Greek/Roman/Western Civilization history told the masses in an easy to swallow form. It is history taught to you very "old school", in story form. In parts you feel as if you are sitting around the campfire being told of heroes...men AND women who lived long ago, in other parts you feel as if you are watching a play. Well, I did anyway, but as I said, I'm a bit of a history geek, so I was probably just a bit excited about it because I am familiar with what happened.

If you want all the facts, as well as we know them anyway, and you want to be walked through.....this movie will make money, The History Channel will start doing stuff about the Battle of Thermopylae. If you want to be entertained a bit while you're being taught a little history, you like Shakespearean stuff, thought Troy was ok or just enjoy "Gladiator movies" (AIRPLANE!!) go check this one out. I think you'll like it.

...and if you don't, at least you didn't have to sit through that peice of shit The Black Dahlia.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that might be where you were. I'm jealous. I prolly have to wait until it is on TV

Jen said...

the trailer looks
interesting..
but I'll probably wait
till I can netflix it

So is there an actual story
or is the total movie
just a bloodfest?

KOM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KOM said...

Frank Miller... what can I say? I've got a first edition "The Dark Knight Returns" sitting in cold storage... But otherwise, what? Spawn? Leguezamo who?

I read a bit in Time... told that it was like "Sky Pilot", in that nothing is real. I quickly walked away from that abomination, but I still hold some hope.

The premise is spectacular -- I honestly don't know why it hasn't been re-done in the last 50 years. Still, it's a story of a few against many -- I don't get why it has to be so ridiculously overdone. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I expected "Saving Private Ryan", or at least the first half-hour, as the basis. Like you say, history buff. I'm all for the story -- I just wish it were related to this reality.

Still, maybe I should see it before condemning it (what a strange concept!)

Totally off subject, have you ever read the Ilium/Olypmos books by Dan Simmons? Now that fantasy I can get behind.

phoenix said...

It was good but in my opinion over done. I think they could have made it a bit more realistic without trying to give us creatures that didn't exist and lots of slo-mo that ruined the concept of the battle. I know, I know... it had to be bigger than life and all... but still... (Snakes on a Plane!)

Anonymous said...

I saw it this morning...you liked it better than I.

Beautifully designed....but the action scenes were too drawn out...losing the tension for me with the reason only 300 went in the first place....more back story would have been nice and I wish I didn't keep thinking about the movie Gladiator...the whole time.

Listen to this idea...wouldn't it of been great if they had only released the movie in shorts...like they used to do in the old days....a serial that would open a movie. In that format of say 15 minute short films showing over a period of say a few months....I'd go back and see more movies just to get the next episode....they should try something like that...I say.