Saturday, January 27, 2007

FOR SPARTA!!!!!

Anyone else geeked (Greeked?) to see the movie 300?

A million years ago....I was going to be a History major in college. Like mamy people I let others mess with my head and after hearing for the....300th time that that would be a stupid/useless degree, I changed it to my second fave and was a Biology major. As it turned out, I wound up dropping out of school anyway, so it really didn't matter.

300 is based on the Battle of Thermopylae. To History buffs and military buffs it's a very famous battle. The Spartans, the Thebans, and Arcadians (which is kind of a generic term for random Greek folk if I recall) fought against the Persians. The legend is that it was 300 Spartans against a MILLON Persians. Near as anyone can tell from historical "fact" it was probably more like a few thousand versus 300,000 or more. Still damn impressive. The greatly outnumbered Spartans kicked serious ASS and phuctup the Persians like nobody's biz.

It's just a great true story of a few fighting back against overwhelming odds. Yes, the Spartans eventually fell, but not after doing some big damage to the Persian army.

Historically, the Spartans and this battle could very well be what united that part of the world and eventually led to the first democracy.

Blah blah blah......I just like the story because it riles the primitive, old school warrior that exists in all men. It's just a kickass story about some kickass guys who....um....kicked ass on a huge....kickass level.

I just hope the movie is good or I'll want to go all Spartan on somebody and....kick...ass.

For all you wussies, I think Emily Dickenson wrote a poem about the Spartans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, haven't seen that movie. But I was thinking of watching the Matrix trology since I've seen the first and third movie but can't really remember if I've seen the second one.

...Mr. Anderson. We meet again.

Yeah. Had to say that.

KOM said...

Good premise, to a degree...

But what's with the MasterBlaster, crazy clone-war era armor, etc? This movie screams for authenticity, and we're going to be fed trolls with machine-guns.

It's sad - I was looking forward to it when I first heard about it. Now, I'm planning on falling asleep on the couch when it comes to the USA Network.

{snuff.. whaza? Is Monk on yet?}

Anonymous said...

Im with you on this one. It *looks* good, but this is hollywood. their lible to really screw it up.