Friday, January 26, 2007

Um.....yeeeeaaaahh....

Man, the MacBook I was bidding for on eBay went from $268.00 to $1465.00 in 28 seconds.

Wow.

Anybody eBay a lot?
I've scored a majority of my way too big jersey collection that way. Other stuff too of course..books, music, shoes (New, not used. Everytime I say shoes people go "EEeeeewwwww!".). I just got a cool camera on there. One thing that I've never understood is when you see something bid up higher thatn you could get it from the store. Now, I know that in some cases this is a person who lives in the Yukon or some crap where you can't just drive down the street to Costco or Hel*Mart(tm), but I dont get ti when say it's something like an iPod. You can order DIRECTLY FROM Apple and get one for $250 (free shipping too)....WHY would you bid one up to $340?

I'd see this with my jersey habit...HOBBY, I meant hobby....
Anyhoo..
There's one main company that makes a bunch of "throwback jerseys" (A new jersey of an old retired player) Mitchell & Ness and they sell them $200-$450. Now ya see WHY I get them on eBay. Well, it's just like the iPod thing. You can order direct or even from a couple online authorized sellers, but you'll see people bidding it up anywhere fomr $50-100 sumthin MORE than you'd have to pay at the store.

The good thing is that you can find the opposite goin on too. "OMG! I can't believe nobody's bidding on this!!! I can't be the only person looking for a B.J and The Bear fondu pot/waffle iron set!!! Look! It's only 35 cents!!!omgomgomgomgomgomg....it's mine..IT'S ALL MIIIIINNNNEEEE! Bwah-hahahahahahahaaaaa!".

Any good eBay stories?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked for ebay.

I don't think it's uncommon for people to have bidding software that bids nearing the auction close. If several people are running it on the same item, it's a matter of seconds I think before one of them will hit their max bid. (Be very wary of any listing that prompts you to visit a site or write to an email in order to procure an item outside of the auction.)

As for bidding past an item's worth, perhaps just ignorance. If I never looked for a product before and walked into the store and saw it on the shelf for a price I'm likely to believe that's a relatively fair market value. People treat ebay the same. Tons of people don't understand from the get-go that ebay isn't the one selling these items, and that ebay is just a venue.

Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Satan, I thought I told you to email me directly from now on.

Asshole.

Infinigeist said...

Oh weird, it listed my comment as being from anonymous - the real comment, not the spam comment. But.. it was me.

Hi Jerk ^^