Saturday, December 09, 2006

Exactly what I've been talking about.

I just came back from taking my mom Christmas shopping, and I watched her talk herself into buying a $129 coat when she really wanted the $90 one.

Mom:"I really want that other one, but they don't have my size."

Jerk: "Then let's go to their other store or we can order the right size for you online."

Mom: "Yeah, but we're already here. I'll just buy this white one that's similar."

Jerk "...but it's NOT what you want and you never wear white stuff. You always say that you don't want to get it dirty so you never wear it."

Mom: "That's true, but they don't have my size in that other one and I don't like the two coloUrs thay have left."

Jerk: "Then Mom, let's go order the right size and the coloUr you want online."

Mom: "No....we're here and this is close enough and not much more.....I'm gonna buy this one."

Jerk. "Sigh.......fine.".


See, my problem is that I want to help YOU. I'm trying too hard to help YOU guys. I get something, I TRULY grasp something and I'm trying to get YOU to see it and in the process you think that I'M looking for the answer when it's that I've found it and I'm trying to give it to YOU and I'm getting frustrated and pissed off because you don't/won't/can't see it.

I need to keep reminding myself that I can't help YOU.
YOU have to help you.

Many of you don't see the problem.
Some don't think there is a problem.
Some see it and don't care.
Some see it and embrace it as an inescapable truth.
Some don't want help.

I'm trying to pull you up and really all I'M doing is slipping back down out of frustration.
I care too much. I try to pretend that I don't give a shit about my fellow man, but really, I do. Too much really.
I can't help you, you have to help yourself.

I'm sorry.

I'll just focus on me.

I'm sorry.
No more of this shit.


I like Ritz crackers.
Mmmmmmm.
Ritz crackers and aerosol cheese.
Mmmmmmm.

2 comments:

KOM said...

I don't know who wrote "White Men Can't Jump", but I take as gospel the idea that women don't want help - they want sympathy. If Rosie Perez says that she's thirsty, she doesn't want you to get her a glass of water, she wants you to feel thirsty, too.

I suppose this translates to women as well.

The problem with being a man is that we are hardwired to "see problem, fix problem." Which, at a glance, seems opposed to the idea of what we should be, per Rosie. On the other hand, if everyone sat around complaining about thirst and not getting water, we'd have died out long ago...

KOM said...

That is, translates to mothers, as well.