Saturday, December 16, 2006

Kinda slow @ Sobo

beerglow2
I felt like getting out last night so I went down to Sobo, which is a neighborhood/sports bar. The owner Phillip (great guy) has two favorite sports; Hockey and Futbol (Soccer), so if you're looking to catch a lot of NASCAR or Tennis coverage Sobo is not the bar for you. Now, to all my Canadian pals I'm sure ALL bars are Hockey bars, but down here in the states, finding a "Hockey bar" (unless you live in an Original Six town) is...well....Sobo is IT pretty much. 'Specially in this town, which is all about football. Sobo has to be the only sports related bar in Denver that doesn't have one single Broncos item hanging anywhere.
Sobo light

Since it was a home game, most of the Avs fans that hang out at Sobo were at the Pepsi Center (Bleh. The COca-Cola Center woulda been SO much better) screaming like crazy, so it was a slow night at the bar. I was just hanging out, sitting with Mike's GF Paula, and I do mean "sitting with" because she was working on her laptop building a website or hacking into the Popeye's Chicken Corporate computers trying to find out why they continue to undercook Mike's food when he goes there making him sick and/or trying to find out what they put in the chicken to make it so addictive that Mike keeps going back to eat it even though he gets sick from it. Either way, I don't like bugging people when they're working, even if they don't mind and are excellent at multitasking. It just makes me feel rude. You can see her laptop in the corner of the top pic next to my beer. Czechvar is nummy. Sobo, by the way, is the only bar west o' the Mighty Missa'sip that serves Czechvar. That's what they told me anyway, and I can't figure out why out of all the things you could/would lie about on this earth, you'd lie about that. Meh.
Mike hockey dj

I've known Mike since we were (or as the East coasters say "Since I am") 14, which was a billion years ago. Mike's been a DJ for almost that entire time. He got started helping out and learning at this little "Teen" club we went to forever ago and he's been doing it pretty much nonstop since. Believe me when I tell you that Mike has more records than you. Believe me when I tell you that Mike has more records than YOUR DJ friend (everybody has one right?), you name it, he's probably got it and 4 different remixes. You might ask "Hey Jerk, what the hell do they need a DJ for at a hockey bar?". They don't. It's more of a for fun/for a friend thing where Mike plays tunes between periods. He's got gigs all over the place and works at a local record shop rather than base all his income on the booming Hockey-DJ industry.

They have all the stuff there instead of a jukebox because the owner "spins" as a hobby and they do karaoke on the weekends when a games not goin on.

beerglow1

It was a nice mellow night. The Avs beat the Oilers (I know a girl who knows a girl who's married to Ryan Smyth! Sure, I don't like him and think he's kinda a jerk, but I'M a jerk so...we'd probably be pals.). Talked music with Mike.
OH, I almost forgot, my pseudo-buddy Alan was there. Alan is Mike's roomie/friend. I've known Alan for about 12yrs. He's a great guy when he's not being an asshole. Alan's problem is that Alan doesn't like Alan, so if YOU like Alan he tends to think you're an idiot and will be pretty fuckin rude to ya, BUT, if you're like me, and you give him shit back and tell him to quit being such an asshole, he'll consider you a pal and actually like you for not liking him.....um, yeah....it's weird. IF you ever meet Alan (I'll try and get a picture next time) act like you'd like him if he weren't such a dick and you'll get along swell. Or not. Meh. Geebus, people and their baggage.....

Um...let's see...what else?

I don't go out very often, but when I DO, I take a specific amount of dough with me so if I'm with a bunch of friends I'll buy a round or two and when I'm outta money, I'm outta money. When it's just me and one friend/date and I know I'm not gonna drink much I tend to tip the same amount I spend. I drop $30 then I tip $30. I went out with this money to SPEND it and have a good time, if part of that good time is hooking up an appreciative server then so be it. It comes from being on the other side. I remeber busting my ass on a busy night and guys tipping me a quarter on a $3.75 drink (if I got a tip at all) or working a "slug on opiates-like" slow night and not making any money. I feel your pain bar workies, if I can, I'll hook ya up. I know you're not doin it fo free. ANyhoo. I did this last night and my waitress was super happy to have me in her section. "REALLY?! You're serious? Karma's gonna hook you up BIG TIME. Thank you!".

Dear Karma,
Send my "Comes around" to this girl I adore in Canada.
Thanks, Jerk.

SPEAKING OF....

Instead of drunk dailing, I drunk emailed...
Guess what?
It's JUST as embarrassing the next day.

I don't have much of a hangover, it's more that it felt like the 3M Corp mixed glue, sand and cotton in my mouth all night in an attempt to see if I'd hurl sandpaper by morning.
I think my "Jerkpaper" joke I left on Binny's blog was funnier.
Meh.

I think I'm supposed to be going to a fashion show tonight, but that's not really my style dig? It's a friends thing though, so I might guilt myself into going anyway. You now how it is. Maybe I'll just hit Sobo again, that's where everybody I know usually hangs.

Hope life's treating you like the kickass folk you are.
:)

Latah.

5 comments:

Robin Alexa said...

What girl in Canada are you sending your karma to?

Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Why, do you need some too?

Robin Alexa said...

oh yes I do.

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

I love hookin' up a good server. Like you said, I think it's having walked a mile in the shoes.

Anonymous said...

I drunk posted. I'm not sure when I humiliate myself more...posting sober or sloshy.